This section of the Faculty Blackboard Tutorial covers using Blackboard's Chat and Virtual Classroom tools. Chat and the Virtual Classroom are synchronous tools, meaning that you are communicating in real time. These tools can be useful in a variety of situations.
Class or Small Group Chat
Creating a Collaboration Session
Issues and Tips
- Real-time communication.
- Everyone has to meet online at the same time.
- Meetings usually last no more than one to two hours.
- Participants have less time to think about their answers.
- Feedback is immediate.
- The discussion is more informal.
- Working on student group projects.
- Having virtual office hours.
- Interviewing an expert in a particular field.
- Holding study group meetings.
- Brainstorming ideas.
- A variety of distance learning situations.