This page will cover how to add class readings, documents, videos, and other files to a Blackboard course page.
- Select a content area from the menu on the left side of the page. Note: the instructions on this page are only applicable to content areas that were created as "Content Areas" and "Blank Pages".
- Once the page has opened, hover your mouse over Build Content > select "Item" or other type of document.
- When you have chosen to create new content, Blackboard will prompt you to provide information about the content. The first and only required step is naming your content. If you choose to, you may also change the color of the displayed name.
- Under Text, provide a brief description for the new item. Alternatively, this box can be used for writing instructions about uploaded files or typing out detailed text content. Text may be copied and pasted from Microsoft Word to Blackboard.
- If you would like to upload a file to be included with the new item, choose either Browse My Computer to upload a document from your computer or Browse Course to upload a document from your course files.
- If you have chosen Browse My Computer, a window will appear prompting you to find the location of your file on your computer and select it. Once it is selected, click Open.
- If you have chosen Browse Course, a window will appear with a list of files you have previously uploaded to your course file storage area. Select one or several files by checking the box(es) to the left of the files you wish to upload. When you have selected all of the files you wish to upload, click Submit.
- The last step in creating a new item is setting options for it--options which can be found in step 3.
- Select Yes for Permit Users to View this Content to allow students to view this item. You may wish to select No if you are preparing a syllabus in advance and don't want your students to see it just yet.
- Select No for Track Number of Views if you do not need Blackboard to collect usage data. Otherwise, change the selection to Yes.
- Select Date and Time Restrictions makes an item appear on the Blackboard course page during a specified time period. Simply check the box(es) which you wish to apply and set their date and time. Please note that you must select Yes for Permit Users to View this Content in order to use this feature.
- The last step is to review the form and click Submit. The content will be added when you have received a notification of success.
Note: With large files, it can take a while to transfer all of the data to the Blackboard server. Also, make sure that the type of file you upload can be viewed by your students. Some students may not have the necessary application on their personal computers to view uncommon files. In that case, either use another file type or provide instructions on where and how to obtain the program.