6/13/11 Notes

 

University of Washington Bothell
Technology Advisory Committee
 
June 13, 2011
Minutes
 
 
Attending: David Goldstein, Ted Hiebert, Andreas Brockhaus, Betsy Tippens, Brian Fletcher, Natalie Mayfield (for Lane McKittrick), Eric Chan

What’s on tap for next year?

Betsy introduced the final meeting of the year by introducing some of our planning for next year, focusing on ways to make TAC more effective in terms of meeting frequency, communication, and decision making.

IT will be working with the campus over the next year to develop a formal online learning strategy, and many of the issues to be dealt with by TAC are related to that.

Betsy announced that IT will be piloting the Tegrity lecture capture system in the fall, and will work during the summer on issues related to supporting and setting up the system. Lecture capture means that cameras and microphones capture a class, recording both a PowerPoint presentation and video/audio of the faculty member. IT will probably also set up a portable system for student presentations, as well as classroom installations. These systems are useful as a study aid, for note taking, and for faculty to produce videos. Video content is stored within the Tegrity system on the web and is archived and searchable, so anyone with a password can view the content again and again.

UW Seattle will also be hosting a Learning Management System in order to simplify learning environments and provide a single LMS for UW students and faculty. Over the next couple years, we’ll be working with UW Seattle to explore a product called Canvas. It is open source and may replace Blackboard. Kelli Trosvig, Interim Vice President for Information Technology, is also envisioning the integration of Catalyst with the LMS solution in order to preserve some Catalyst tools within a single LMS system.

UW Seattle is negotiating with Microsoft for a hosted Exchange email solution for free to UW. We’ll be following that conversation to see where and when we can take advantage of this option. UW Gmail will still be an option, along with Google Apps. UW MS Live Mail will probably be phased out over the next few years.

Recommendations for Changes

The committee discussed changes that should be considered for next year.
 
Membership:
 
Munehiro Fukuda will be joining TAC to represent the IRSC next year. Carol Leppa will be leaving the committee because she will be the Interim Director of the Nursing program. Ted will let us know if he can continue to serve.

Betsy will work with Susan Jeffords to appoint a replacement for Carol.  Recommendations? So far, faculty on this committee have had some technology background. Would it be better to have faculty that may not engage as much with technology?  Joe wants to have faculty who will help us engage with faculty in general. Ted and Andreas pointed out that having faculty members with a technology background would probably make them most effective committee members.

Andreas asked if the library’s new online learning coordinator would be a good member for TAC? Rob says it could be, depending on the level of library representation that TAC needs.

Eric plans stay for another year. We hope to add a student by including the Chair of the Student Technology Fee committee. Andreas asked about how to better engage with students to generate TAC agenda items. Eric gives weekly reports to connect ASUWB to STF. ASUWB is also considering a survey and student engagement through events. Next year, STF is thinking about allowing quarterly proposals, rather than a once a year process.

Meetings:
 
It has been really difficult this year to get this group together, and we have always run out of time at meetings. We would be able to accomplish much more if we met either more frequently or for longer periods of time. David suggested that the subcommittee approach might help getting smaller groups together more frequently.  Andreas and David also recommended 90 minutes to 2 hours for meeting times to allow subcommittee reporting times.

Brian suggested a regular meeting time, rather than a moving meeting. David suggested that meeting times could be set well in advance, with maybe a scheduling poll sent out this summer for each quarter of the coming year.

How to improve committee work:

Brian suggested that we could better connect with CEC and GFO in order to steer better. Ted appreciated reports on what has been done with committee recommendations, and suggested more focus on that in the future.

Natalie suggested that for budgeting we should have ideas formed by April for projects for the next year so that proposals can be submitted in time for budget decisions. Andreas suggested sending out agendas farther in advance in order to give more opportunities to add agenda items.

Joe asked if TAC should get involved in the Chancellor’s innovation week. Ted has been involved in brainstorming and reported there seems to be a general sense that we want to represent faculty expertise, but no specific plans. If the event includes something like a poster session or other opportunity to present information, TAC should participate.

Ted wanted to know if this committee is also about taking input from external sources. Should TAC have a table at the Innovation Week to talk to the community about what UW Bothell is doing? We could gather information about the direction UW Bothell is taking. Andreas talked about showcasing projects with the City of Bothell, such as the GIS project and others. Should we involve the Center for Serious Play? We might be able to work with them on community interaction. Joe would like to interface with faculty more over research and grants. Rob pointed out that might overlap a bit with the IRSC. Betsy suggested that IRSC representation on TAC might help with this conversation.

Suggestions for campus communication:

Ted suggested going to faculty meetings if there is something specific we can request information about. So far, the committee has been involved in brainstorming and information gathering. Once we need more input, we should plan to get faculty feedback at meetings.

Joe wondered if we could use our expertise to advise other campus constituents on technology elements of campus projects.

Betsy plans to write up an annual report on TAC, get it approved by the committee, and bring it to Academic Council and the Chancellor’s staff. This will get posted on the web as well.

Subcommittee Updates

The hybrid roadmap subcommittee interviewed six universities, gathered information, and created a comprehensive report and bibliography. Andreas will send the report out to TAC shortly. They defined hybrid learning and looked at critical issues including faculty development, support, technology, and staffing. The report also suggested faculty development models. Following feedback from TAC, the report will go to Susan Jeffords.

Andreas reported that he attended a hybrid learning lunch. It was an invitation to faculty involved in hybrid learning to discuss issues such as time commitment, space coordination (for example, two courses share the same room and a topical link), and resources required to engage in hybrid learning. David added that some faculty said the best thing IT can do is stay out of the way. Some faculty want to choose and use their own tools without development or support. Other faculty want a stable, supported platform, so there was a range of opinions. 
 
 

Did You Know?

Discovery Hall is home to the School of Science, Technology, Engineering and Math.