Adding UW Deskmail (Alpine) Mailbox to Outlook
The following steps will show you how to access UW Deskmail (Alpine) with Outlook.
1) Open up Outlook on your computer and click on “file” and underneath Account Information click on “+Add Account”
2) In the window that comes up, select “Manually configure server settings or additional server types” and click “Next”
3) On the following window, select “Internet E-mail” and then select “Next”
4) This window is where you are going to configure your settings. Fill in the information as follows:
Your UW Email Address (firstname.lastname@example.org)
With server information, set the account type as "IMAP"
The incoming mail server is: yournetid.deskmail.washington.edu (Replace yournetid with your personal NetID)
The outgoing mail server is: smtp.uw.edu
Enter your NetID WITHOUT the @uw.edu
Enter your password for your NetID account
5) When you have entered this information, click on “More Settings…”
6) In the “More Settings” window, click on the General Tab and in the top line type “UW Deskmail” (This will allow you to distinguish between your new Exchange account and your old Deskmail account.)
7) In the “Advanced” tab, you’ll need to change the two encryption types to “SSL” (incoming) and “TLS” (outgoing) and then set the ports to “993” (incoming) and “587” (outgoing). Additionally, type “mail” into the Root Folder Path.
8) In the “Outgoing Server” tab, check the box that says “My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication”, and then click okay.
9) NOTE: You might see a window that says “The root folder path for UW Deskmail has changed. Outlook as flushed all cached folders”. This is normal. Just click “Ok”.
10) On the main “Add New Account” page (as seen in step 4), click “next”. It should verify your server settings and add the account successfully to your Outlook profile. Select the “close” option on the window that comes up, and “Finish” on the screen that is alerting you to a successful setup.
11) You should now see on the main Outlook page your Exchange email (usually stylized as email@example.com) as well as “UW Deskmail”. Click on the down arrows to expand the email and see any folders that you have.