Storage space on the Bothell Exchange Server is limited to 250-MB for each user so it is critical that you keep your mailbox's size under the limit. You will recieve warning messages when your mailbox approaches 200-MB. You will not be able to send or receive messages when your mailbox reaches 250-MB. Follow the steps below to determine how your storage is being utilized, and what to remove:
1. Open up Outlook
2. Display the folder list for your mailbox
3. Right click on the top level folder (should say something like "Mailbox - Your Name")
4. In the drop down menu, select Properties for Mailbox - Your Name"
5. Under the General tab, click the Folder Size button.
6. Calculate the total size of you mailbox. The size is displayed in KB so divide by total size by 1024. In this example, 551/1024 = .5MB
7. Make sure that your Junk E-mail folder is empty. Simply click on the folder, select all the messages inside and then press Delete.
8. Delete unnecessary items from your Sent Items folder. Click on your Sent Items and sort by date. Delete everything that is more than 1year old or whatever you think you can live with.
9. Find all your large attachments. Attachments, along with saving your deleted E-mail, usually accounts for the vast majority of the space that is consumed. In your folder list expand Search Folders.
10. Right click Large Mail and select Customize this Search Folder...
11. Click Yes in the Attachements drop down box. Best practices dictate that if you want to keep something you should save the attachment elsewhere and then delete the E-mail to help keep the size of your mail store to a minimum.
12. Delete unnecessary items from your Deleted Items folder. Click on your Deleted Items and sort by date. Delete everything that is more than 1year old or whatever you think you can live with.
13. Check the size of your mail store again (see step #3) and see if you are now below the 250-MB limit. If you are still over 200-MB, go back to step #8.
Need More Information...
- Contact the IT Helpdesk
- Microsoft Office Online