This is intended for UW Bothell faculty and staff activating their UW Google Apps services using their UW NetIDs.
For full information on the service capabilities and conditions, please see the UWIT (Seattle) help page for Google Apps at http://www.washington.edu/itconnect/teamwork/googleapps.html.
The process for activation varies a bit for UW Bothell faculty and staff because we don't currently use Google Apps for email (UW Bothell has a robust Exchange-based email system for faculty and staff). However, we still take advantage of all the other Google Apps besides email, such as Sites, Docs, and Contacts.
To set up your UW Google Apps service:
- Log into manage your NetID resources at https://uwnetid.washington.edu/manage/
- Click the “UW Google Apps” link from the choices on the left side of the page
- You should now see three steps: In step 1, “Agree” to appropriate use guidelines, step 2 is just informational--don’t click anything, step 3 is important; choose “No, do not change delivery setting,” otherwise, your uw.edu email will stop being delivered to your Outlook inbox
- Scroll down to make sure that your name appears the way you want
- Click the “Sign up” link to continue
- You will see three steps in center of the screen; click the “Sign in” link in step 1.
- You will be redirected to a Google page, where you must agree to the Google terms of service
- Enter the captcha (funny looking letters) into the box and click the “I accept. Create my account” link at the bottom
- Once you see the confirmation screen, you are all set!
A Few Tips:
- Sign in to your Google Apps anytime with your NetID at gmail.uw.edu. When you sign in, it will look like an email inbox—just ignore that screen because we are not using Google for email. You can access Documents by clicking the “Docs” link at the top of the screen to the left.
- Remember, if you want to share a document with somebody at UW, be sure that she or he has activated UW Google Apps (the procedure above) and invite her or him to share using the NetID@uw.edu address.
- You can share with collaborators outside the UW system too. Remember, Google will require anyone you share with to create a new Google account associated with the email address you use for sharing. If you want to share with somebody outside UW for the first time, it is a good idea to first check to see if that person already has a Google account (or any gmail address)—sharing with an existing Google account will keep your collaborator from having to set up yet another account.