How to Receive Your UW Bothell I-20

To start processing your UW Bothell I-20, you need to submit the following 3 documents: 

1. Sufficient Financial Support Documents
2. Passport ID page
3. Completed I-20 Request Form (including the I-20 Transfer Out Eligability section, if applicable)

How to Submit Your Documents to CIE: 

Undergraduate Students: Upload your documents onto your UW Bothell Application Status page at .

Graduate Students: Email your documents to

When will I receive my UW Bothell I-20?

After we receive all required documentation from you, please allow up to two weeks for us to review and issue the I-20 for you. We will email you after the I20 has been issued and has been mailed to you (or available for pick-up).

Official High School Transcript: For those students who are required to submit an original high school transcipt, your I-20 will only be issued after UWB receives your official transcript. Do not open the transcript, as once it is opened from the envelope it will not be considered an official transcript.

Traveling Internationally?

If you will be traveling outside the U.S. before beginning your studies at UW Bothell, you must have your UW Bothell I-20 and a valid visa to re-enter the U.S. CIE can mail the new I-20 to you overseas (see mailing directions on the I-20 Request Form). If you require a new F-1 visa, CIE strongly encourages you to apply for your visa in your home country. However, if you remain in the U.S., you can pursue your studies with an expired visa.

Financial Support Requirement

U.S. immigration laws require students on an F or J student visa to provide proof of adequate financial support. The financial ability requirement is met by showing proof of acceptable financial resources to cover tuition & fees, living expense, mandatory UW Health Insurance ($310/quarter), International Student Fee ($45/quarter), and other course and campus fees for one academic year.

Minimum Financial Support for 2017-2018 Academic Year

  • Undergraduate Student: $49,989 USD
  • Graduate Student: $47,169 USD

Students declaring dependents (spouse and/or children) must show additional proof of financial support to cover living expenses and health insurance costs. The financial documents must show an additional $11,573 USD per year for a spouse, and $8,053 USD per child/year.

Acceptable Forms of Financial Support

Examples of acceptable sources of funding: Checking/savings account, scholarship award letter, certificates of deposits, fixed deposits, fixed term certificate of deposits, educational loans (pre-approved and includes student's name), bonds (maturity date listed and is before the start of the student's first quarter at UWB).

Examples of account types that are NOT accepted: Salary statements, stock market funds, business accounts, insurance policies, home/land value documents, and retirement funds.

Tuition Rates & How to Pay Tuition 

For specific information about the current tuition & fee rates and payment due dates, please refer to .

Pay the I-901 SEVIS Fee

This is only required only for students who will be new to the U.S.. If you are transferring to UW Bothell from another U.S. institution, you do not need to pay the I-901 fee again.

F-1 students are required to pay the I-901 SEVIS fee . This fee is imposed by the United States Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS), and must be paid and processed before the applicant arrives at the consulate. You will not be issued a visa without paying the fee.

You are required to provide your SEVIS number (located on on the upper right corner of your UW Bothell I-20) when you pay for the I-901 SEVIS fee.

Applicants must bring the SEVIS fee payment receipt with them for the visa interview, or, for those that do not need a visa, to the U.S. port of entry. Having a receipt for the SEVIS fee payment will facilitate the visa application process. However, if you are unable to print a receipt from an online payment and/or do not receive your mailed receipt in time of your visa interview you can still go to your interview and attempt to obtain your visa as long as your fee has been processed.

Applying for Your F1 Visa

If you are transferring to UW Bothell from another U.S. institution, you may need to apply for a new F1 visa if your current F1 visa has expired and you will be re-entering the U.S. before starting your program of study at UW Bothell.

Your UW Bothell I-20 and I-901 SEVIS fee receipt allows you to make an appointment to apply for your F-1 student visa at a U.S. consulate or embassy.

Applying for a U.S. visa can take anywhere from one day to four weeks, or longer, so you should allow enough time for the visa application process. ISS strongly encourages you to apply in your home country, because it can be risky to apply in a country other than your home country. For instance, if you apply for a new visa in Canada and encounter delays, you must remain in Canada for the length of the processing. You will not be able to re-enter the U.S. until the visa is approved.

List of U.S. Consulates & Embassies (by the U.S. Department of State) 
F-1 Visa Application Process (by the U.S. Department of State)
Preparing for your Student Visa Interview (by Department of Homeland Security)