Center for International Education

I-20 Request Form and F1 Visa

UW Bothell I-20 Request Form

Upon admission to UW Bothell, the Center for International Education can begin to process your UW Bothell I-20. Your UW Bothell I-20 cannot be issued until we receive your completed I-20 Request Form, a copy of your passport identification page and sufficient proof of financial resources.  

If you will be traveling outside the U.S. before beginning your studies at UW Bothell, you must have your UW Bothell I-20 and a valid visa to re-enter the U.S. If you require a new F-1 visa, CIE strongly encourages you to apply for your visa in your home country. However, if you remain in the U.S., you can pursue your studies with an expired visa.

Financial Support Requirement

U.S. immigration laws require students on an F or J student visa to provide proof of adequate financial support. The financial ability requirement is met by showing proof of acceptable financial resources to cover tuition, living expense, mandatory UW health insurance ($310/quarter), International Student Fee ($45/quarter), and other course and campus fees for one academic year.

Minimum Financial Support for 2016-2017 Academic Year

  • Undergraduate Student: $49,989 USD
  • Graduate Student: $47,169 USD

Students declaring dependents (spouse and/or children) must show additional proof of financial support to cover living expenses and health insurance costs. The financial documents must show an additional $11,317 USD per year for a spouse, and $7,867 USD per child/year.

Acceptable Forms of Financial Support

Examples of acceptable sources of funding: Checking/savings account, scholarship award letter, certificates of deposits, fixed deposits, fixed term certificate of deposits, educational loans (pre-approved and includes student's name), bonds (maturity date listed and is before the start of the student's first quarter at UWB).

Examples of account types that are NOT accepted: Salary statements, stock market funds, business accounts, insurance policies, home/land value documents, and retirement funds.

Tuition & Payment Information for Undergraduate and Graduate Students

For specific information about the current tuition & fee rates and payment due dates, please refer to .

Pay the I-901 SEVIS Fee

This is only required only for students who will be new to the U.S.. If you are transferring to UW Bothell from another U.S. institution, you do not need to pay the I-901 fee again.

F-1 students are required to pay the I-901 SEVIS fee . This fee is imposed by the United States Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS), and must be paid and processed before the applicant arrives at the consulate. You will not be issued a visa without paying the fee.

You are required to provide your SEVIS number (located on on the upper right corner of your UW Bothell I-20) when you pay for the I-901 SEVIS fee.

Applicants must bring the SEVIS fee payment receipt with them for the visa interview, or, for those that do not need a visa, to the U.S. port of entry. Having a receipt for the SEVIS fee payment will facilitate the visa application process. However, if you are unable to print a receipt from an online payment and/or do not receive your mailed receipt in time of your visa interview you can still go to your interview and attempt to obtain your visa as long as your fee has been processed.

Applying for Your F1 Visa

If you are transferring to UW Bothell from another U.S. institution, you may need to apply for a new F1 visa if your current F1 visa has expired and you will be re-entering the U.S. before starting your program of study at UW Bothell.

Your UW Bothell I-20 and I-901 SEVIS fee receipt allows you to make an appointment to apply for your F-1 student visa at a U.S. consulate or embassy.

Applying for a U.S. visa can take anywhere from one day to four weeks, or longer, so you should allow enough time for the visa application process. ISS strongly encourages you to apply in your home country, because it can be risky to apply in a country other than your home country. For instance, if you apply for a new visa in Canada and encounter delays, you must remain in Canada for the length of the processing. You will not be able to re-enter the U.S. until the visa is approved.

List of U.S. Consulates & Embassies (by the U.S. Department of State) 
F-1 Visa Application Process (by the U.S. Department of State)
Preparing for your Student Visa Interview (by Department of Homeland Security)