The World Languages Café, hosted by Global Initiatives and the International Student Facilitators and supported by the Office of Student Life, is an informal conversation group to practice foreign languages and engage with speakers from across the campus and community. Tables are designated according to language and participants can choose the most appropriate table to join.
At previous sessions, the World Languages Café has included active groups speaking Spanish, French, Japanese, Arabic, Chinese, German, Vietnamese, Korean, Russian, Swahili, and English. New languages are always welcome!
• All language levels are welcome.
• Participants can be foreign language students (i.e. taking a language course at the UW or Cascadia) or wish to practice a world language they already know.
• Participants strive to speak in the language of the table they have chosen.
• There are no specific topics; discussion is free-flowing. However, participants may incorporate activities or compile a list of questions in their language to stimulate conversation.
• No long-term commitment is required.
• This is not a foreign language tutoring event.