State Financial Aid For DREAMers
A new state law has expanded eligibility for the Washington State Need Grant to low-income, non-citizen students who meet the program’s eligibility requirements and satisfy the residency criteria. Complete Washington Application for State Financial Aid (WASFA) and find out what you may be eligible for.  Priority deadline is February 28th. 

Our office is dedicated to minimizing any obstacles prospective students may face while pursuing their dream of earning their college degree. These range from financial barriers to cultural obstacles in addition to struggling with their immigration status.  In order to ensure that these students receive the tools and resources they need, we provide advising and support to HB 1079 students. A student is considered HB 1079 if: he/she is not a legal permanent resident; if they do not possess a green card, visa, or other legal documentation, including those born outside of the United States; and if they have lived in this country for a significant portion of their lives and reside here without the legal permission of the government. 

House Bill 1079

On May 7, 2003, House Bill (HB) 1079 was signed into law by Governor Gary Locke. This law allows students who have lived in Washington State for three years or more to be considered “residents” when they pay for their tuition and fees at Washington State colleges and universities. HB 1079 does not change a student’s legal citizenship status. The new law means that HB1079 students qualify to pay tuition rates that all other resident students pay however they are not currently allowed to receive state or federal funding for their education.  To qualify for resident tuition, students must have: earned a high school diploma or equivalent (GED) from a Washington State high school; lived in Washington State for three years prior to receiving a high school diploma or GED; lived continually in Washington since earning the high school diploma or GED; meet the college or university admission requirements expected of all other students.

The Affidavit that HB1079 Students are required to sign is a confidential statement verifying that he/she qualifies to pay resident tuition, and that he/she will seek legal permanent residency when legally permitted to do so. If an Affidavit is not provided or available, the 1079 Student should ask a trusted relative, friend, teacher, or counselor to request it from the institution he/she plans to attend.  The Affidavit is available on our website in PDF format at following link Affidavit.

To enroll in the college a student must go through the following steps:

1. Complete the admission and scholarship applications from the college or university the student plans to attend.

2. Fill out and sign the Affidavit. This should be available at any public high school, college or university in the state.

3. Submit the admission, scholarship applications, and Affidavit to the college/university by the deadline stated by the institution.


Contact Information

Enrollment Management

Phone: 425.352.5000

Email: info@uwb.edu