To be admitted to the Leadership Development for Educators (LEDE) program at the University of Washington, Bothell, applicants must simultaneously be admitted to the Graduate School of the University of Washington. It is very important to submit all application documents by the application deadline.
- The UW Graduate School requires a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution with a 3.0 GPA in the last 90 quarter credits or 60 semester credits of graded upper-division coursework
- Current Washington State Professional Teaching Certification (or equivalent continuing certification). Applicants from private schools should show evidence of comparable teaching experience and professional development.
University of Washington Graduate School Application (Online)
- Made online at https://www.grad.washington.edu/application
- When you are prompted to "select a graduate program", be sure to select "Education-Bothell Campus (Educational Leadership)" from the drop down menu (V-BEDUC). The online-fee is $75 payable by credit or debit card payable at the time you submit your complete online application file.
The following application materials should be uploaded to your MyGrad online application as RTF, Word, or PDF documents:
- List education and work experience
- Include in your resume a one paragraph description each of up to three leadership experiences (situations in which you needed to work with and influence other adults to achieve a goal). For each, describe what you wanted to accomplish, with whom you worked and what you learned from the experience.
Application Letter (Personal Statement)
Please describe what you believe is possible to accomplish in a principal's position, why you aspire to this role, and why you believe you are qualified for the role. Consider this a rough draft of your letter of application for a principal's position. The letter should be no more than two (2) pages.
Three (3) Recommendations
- One recommendation should be from your immediate supervisor or evaluator;
- One reference from a colleague or co-worker who can speak about your commitment and ability to collaborate with colleagues, participate in a community of learning, and support success for all students;
- One reference from an individual who can speak to your ability to be successful in a graduate program.
Supplemental Online Application Form
Complete the Supplemental Online Application Form available on the Leadership Development of Educators web site and submit it electronically to the Education Program prior to the application deadline.
The remaining application material must be submitted by mail to the following address:
Leadership Development for Educators
University of Washington, Bothell
18115 Campus Way N.E.
Bothell, WA 98011
Provide one official transcript for undergraduate degree institution and one copy of post-baccalaureate, and/or non-UW graduate coursework. Former and current UW students do not need to submit official UW transcripts. For transcripts to be official, they must be submitted in original sealed envelopes.
Master of Education Program
University of Washington Bothell
18115 Campus Way NE
Bothell, WA 98011-8246
Evidence of Teacher Certification
Provide a photocopy of your Washington State Professional Teaching Certificate (or equivalent continuing certification). Applicants from private schools should show evidence comparable teaching experience and professional development.
Please note: all enrolled matriculated students are required to provide proof of measles (rubeola) immunity. Students will not be allowed to register for any classes until the UW Bothell Registrar's Office confirms that they have satisfied this requirement. Students born before 01/01/57 are considered to be immune to measles and therefore do NOT need to submit proof of immunity.
Credit for prior learning and other professional development
Up to eight credit hours required in the first part of the program may be satisfied through transfer credits or waived on the basis of prior professional development and experience. Options include a combination of:
- Up to four credit hours can be waived with documentation of prior learning and teacher instructional leadership work that is equivalent to part of the internship requirement.
- Up to eight credit hours of coursework taken for university graduate credit and not used toward another degree can be transferred into the program.
If you wish to apply for transfer credit, please complete the Prior Learning/Professional Development form and submit it with your Evidence of Teacher Certification. An individual advising conversation will be scheduled in conjunction with the faculty's decision to grant transfer credit for these experiences.
Tuition Information and Financial Aid
Visit the Office of Student Affairs for specific information on tuition rates and financial aid.