Dr. Van Galen's research focuses on social class and social mobility through education. Most recently, she has focused on ways in which new forms of participatory digital media enable the inclusion of more voices in deliberations about civic and cultural life. She is currently guest editing a special issue of the journal Excellence and Equity in Education on bridging new digital divides in uses of social media as a means of supporting civic engagement and agency.
B EDUC 325 - The Dream Project
B EDUC 425 - Professional Practice Seminar
B EDUC 427 - Professional Practice Seminar: Becoming a Professional Educator
B EDUC 437 - Current Issues in Technology
B EDUC 491 - Special Topics: New Literacies for Digital Learning
B EDUC 522 - Education and the American Dream
B EDUC 565 - Technology in Education
B EDUC 567 - Telling Our Stories As Teachers: Digital Storytelling as Reflective Practice
IAS 300 - Community Engagement and Participatory Media
American Education Research Association
Phi Delta Kappa
American Educational Studies Association
Working Class Studies Association
Association of Working Class Academics
Honors and Awards
- 2010 - UWB Worthington Technology Endowment Award: Digital Tools for Literacy: Utilizing Mobile Technologies to Impact Teacher Knowledge and Increase Student Learning (With Antony Smith). $9,956.
- 2009 - State Farm Youth Advisory Board Award, The UWB Dream Project. $36,000. (Co-written with Dream Project students)
- 2006 - Worthington Scholar Award, University of Washington, Bothell
- Worthington Scholar Award, University of Washington Bothell 2004 & 2001
- Annual Teaching Award, Assoc of Students of University of Washington Bothell, 2004
- Royalty Research Fund Award, University of Washington, 2000
- Goals 2000 Pilot Project for Model Curriculum Development in Preservice Teacher Education. Washington Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction, 1997
- Research Professorship Award. Youngstown State University, 1991
- University Research Council Grant, Youngstown State University, 1987
- Research Professorship Award, Youngstown State University, 1987
- Teaching Fellowship, Outstanding Teaching Assistant, University of North Carolina, 1985
Ph.D. Sociology of Education, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
M.Ed. Special Education, Eastern Kentucky University
B.S. Education, University of Wisconsin-Green Bay
- Founding Director, Education Program, University of Washington Bothell
- Associate Professor, Youngstown State University
- Teaching Assistant, The University of North Carolina
- Teacher, Special Education North Carolina and Kentucky Public Schools
Selected Publications and Presentations
Van Galen, J. (2010). Class, identity, and teacher education. The Urban Review, 42, 2, p. 253.
Van Galen, J. (2008). Teachers in class. Equity and Excellence in Education, 41,1, I98-113
Van Galen, J. (2007). Late to class: Social class and schooling in the new economy. Educational Horizons, 85, 156-167.
Van Galen, J. and Dempsey, V. (Eds) (2009). Trajectories: The Educational and Social Mobility of Education Scholars from Poor and Working Class Backgrounds. Sense Publishers
Van Galen, J. and Noblit, G. (Eds.) (2007). Late to Class: Schooling and Social Class in the New Economy. Albany: State University of New York Press.
Van Galen, J. and Noblit G. (in press), Late to Class: Schooling and Social Class in the New Economy. SUNY Press.
Van Galen, J., (2004) School reform and class work. Journal of Educational Change, 5, 111-139.
Van Galen, J. (2004) Seeing classes: Toward a broadened research agenda for critical qualitative researchers. International Journal of Qualitative Studies in Education. 17, 663-685.
Van Galen, J. (2003) Guest Editor, Special Issue: Rising Up: Critical Educators from Poor and Working Working Class Backgrounds. Educational Foundations.
Van Galen, J. and Sillins, V. (2001). Juxtaposing Research, Theory and Practice: A Course for Inservice Teachers. Teacher Education Quarterly.
Van Galen, J. & Navarro, J. (2001) When foundations faculty design teacher education: a narrative of triumphs and tensions. Educational Foundations, 15, 55-70.
Van Galen, J. (200) Education and Class. Multicultural Education, 7, (3), 2-11.
Eaker, D. and Van Galen J. (eds.) (1996) Caring in an Unjust World: Negotiating Borders and Barriers in Schools. Albany: SUNY Press.
Van Galen, J. & Pitman, M.A. (eds.) (1991). Home schooling: Historical, Political and Pedagogical Perspectives. Norwood, NJ: Ablex Publishing Corp.
Book Series Editor:
Mobility Studies in Education. Sense Publishers.
Professional Presentations: International
Van Galen, J. (2011). No, I never tell my story: Social Class, Mobility and Teacher Education. International Conference on Digital Storytelling, Lillehammer, Norway.
Recent Professional Presentations: National
Van Galen, J. (2011) Reframing Retention: Mentoring and Leadership Development in the UWB Dream Project. American Education Research Association, New Orleans.
Van Galen, J. (2011). Working Class Students and the Participation Divide: Learning in Participatory Culture. Working Class Studies Association, Chicago.
Van Galen, J. (2011). An Excellent Teacher in Every Classroom: Digital Divides in Participatory Culture. American Educational Studies Association, St. Louis.
Van Galen, J. (2010). Telling our stories as teachers: Multimedia Authoring as Reflective Identity Construction. American Educational Studies Association, Denver.
Van Galen, J. (2010). Mediated narratives of social class. American Education Resesarch Association, Denver.