Dr. Kubota's work at UW Bothell includes teaching science education, environmental education, and teacher leadership courses in the Teacher Certification and Master of Education programs. Research interests focus on science education reform both in the United States and abroad. She is known statewide for her grant work which provides exemplary professional development programs for teachers and leaders in science education.
B EDUC 473 - Environmental Education
B EDUC 504 - Theories of Organizational Change and School Reform
B EDUC 536 - Teacher Leadership
National Science Teachers Association
Association for the Education of Teachers in Science
Teachers of Teachers of Science
Washington Science Teachers Association
Honors and Awards
- Distinguished Teacher of the Year, University of Washington Bothell, 2005
- President's Award, Washington Association of Partners in Education, 2001
- Team Excellence Award, Washington State Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development for Excellence at the Regional/State Level, 1995
- Washington State Higher Education Science Teacher of the Year, Washington Science Teachers Association, 1993.
- Fellow, Bilingual Graduate Fellowship Program, University of Washington, 1984
- Fellow, National Science Foundation Physics Institute, University of Washington, 1977
- Gubernatorial Appointment to the Education Commission of the States,Office of the Washington State Governor, 1977-1981
Ph.D., Education, University of Washington Seattle
M.Ed., Curriculum and Instruction, University of Washington Seattle
B.A. Biology Education, University of Washington Seattle
- Research Assistant Professor and Director of Programs, UW Science/Mathematics Project, University of Washington Seattle
- Instructor and Assistant Director, Washington Jr. Science and Humanities Symposium, Seattle Pacific University
- Teacher and Director, Outdoor Biology Instructional Strategies Field Center, Pacific Science Center
- Instructor, Seattle University
Instructor Western Washington University
Selected Publications and Presentations
"Teaching: Risky Business." Distinguished Teaching Award talk to the faculty, May 2006.
"Science: The Answers Aren't In the Back of the Book." Choice Words lecture, University of Washington Bothell, October 2005.
"Interactive Teaching Strategies." University of Washington Faculty Fellows, September 2005.
Proceedings of the Science Education Leadership Conference. Washington Science Teachers Journal. March 2002.
Write For Science. Washington Science Teachers Journal. March 2001.
Professional Development for Professional Development Providers. Washington Science Teachers Journal. March 2000.
Changing What We Do: Constructing A Team-Based, Problem-Centered Professional Development Experience. Hollweg, K. and Kubota, C. North American Association for Environmental Education, Washington D.C. 1998.