Center for International Education

Change to F1 Status

How Can I Change My Visa Type to F1?

If you are currently in the U.S. on a different visa status and want to change to the F1 status, there are two different ways that you can change to the F1 visa. Our office will meet with you to discuss your particular situation, help advise on which option would be best for you, and help you through the application process.This packet provides detailed information about how to change to the F1 status, and the important immigration regulations that you need to know.

Option 1-Travel Option

This is the traditional way most students enter the U.S. to study on a F1 visa. In your situation, you must leave the U.S., apply for your F-1 visa at a U.S. consulate, and reenter the U.S. with the F-1 visa and other relevant documents. You will gain your new status when you enter the U.S.

Option 2-Non-Tr(avel Option This is called “Change of Status”)

Submit an application to the USCIS for a Change of Status. This option allows you to change your nonimmigrant status while remaining in the U.S. With this option you may gain the new status but you will not receive a new visa; visas are only issued outside the U.S.