On September 5, 2017, Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced President Trump’s decision to phase out the DACA program.  That same day, UW Bothell Chancellor Wolf Yeigh and UW President Ana Mari Cauce issued statements reiterating their opposition to ending DACA.

The DACA phase-out will occur over six months, as President Trump put it, in order to “provide a window of opportunity for Congress to finally act” on the issue.  The Department of Homeland Security has issued a “Fact Sheet” and a set of “Frequently Asked Questions” with details on the phase-out process.  Two key features of the phase-out are:

  • Current employment authorization documents (EADs) issued under DACA will remain valid until they expire, which is generally two years from the date of issuance.
  • Current DACA recipients will have until October 5, 2017 to submit a request to renew their EADs if their DACA benefits are due to expire anytime between September 5, 2017 and March 5, 2018.

Below are FAQs aimed at providing general guidance for UW Bothell students and staff in the event DACA expires on March 5, 2018 without further Congressional or Presidential action.  In addition, we strongly recommend this two-page information sheet issued by the Immigration Legal Resource Center.

It must be emphasized that how a DACA expiration will affect any individual can vary widely depending on each individual’s circumstances.  UW Bothell cannot provide legal advice to students or staff, and we strongly recommend that you consult with a lawyer for advice as to how DACA’s expiration might affect you individually and what your options might be.  The legal services organization listed here can assist if you need help finding a lawyer. 

Frequently Asked Questions:


  1. Can undocumented students travel internationally?

    Following advice from United We Dream and the Northwest Immigrant Rights Project, we recommend undocumented students refrain from any international travel, including study abroad.  


  1. If DACA is rescinded, can undocumented students study at UW Bothell? 



  1. If DACA is rescinded, can a DACA student continue to work on-campus at UW Bothell?

    A DACA student who is employed would likely be able to continue working until their current work authorization expires. 

  2. If DACA is rescinded, can a DACA student be hired for an on-campus job at UW Bothell?

    If a DACA student doesn't have a valid work authorization, then UW Bothell would not be able to hire a DACA student to work on-campus.

  3. If DACA is rescinded, is there any other way for a DACA student to be able to work legally?

    Depending on circumstances, some DACA students may still be able to obtain work authorizations through other, non-DACA means, but these would be limited to specific criteria (such as asylum status).

Financial Aid

  1. If DACA is rescinded, how could DACA student's eligibility for WAFSA be affected?

How DACA rescission might affect any individual student’s financial aid package will be very fact-specific, so the answer to this question is likely to vary from student to student. In general, WAFSA qualifies students for four types of aid, which would be affected (or not affected) by a rescission of DACA as follows:

State Need Grant: Immigration status is not taken into account, so these grants should not be affected by changes in DACA.

Passport Scholarship: This aid is for students from foster care only. There is no clear indication that immigration status is taken into consideration. 

State Work Study: Work authorization is required. DACA students already with current work authorization under DACA could continue to be eligible for these funds until their work authorization expires.

College Bound Scholarship: This currently requires students to have DACA status if you are not otherwise documented, so this scholarship program would need to change otherwise DACA students would likely lose funding.

2. If DACA is rescinded, would this affect a DACA student's eligibility for federal financial aid?

No. Currently, DACA students are not eligible for federal financial aid so a DACA rescission would have no affect.

3. How Can an Undocumented Student Apply for HB-1079 (In-State Tuition at UW)

House Bill 1079 was signed by Governor Gary Locke on May 7, 2003. HB-1079 allows eligible undocumented students to pay in-state tuition at state colleges and universities. Under Washington state law, students who are not U.S. citizens or permanents residents may qualify for in-state tuition if they meet certain guidelines.

More information about HB-1079 and how to apply is available at: www.uwb.edu/financialaid/hb1079-undocumented.Links to an external site.

4. What resources does UW Bothell have to help me apply for WAFSA and other financial resources? 

You can find information from UW Bothell Financial Aid Office at www.uwb.edu/financial-aid/hb1079-undocumented/financial-resources-at-uwb