Center for International Education

Immigration Documents

It is your responsibility to understand and comply with the terms of your immigration status during your stay in the United States. A violation of the immigration regulations could jeopardize your student status. You should always consult with the Center for International Education if you have any questions or concerns before taking action.

Tips on How to Maintain Legal F1 Status

We encourage students to use the helpful F1 Visa Immigration Guide to review the important immigration rules that they must obey during their studies in the United States. In general, students must remember to:


  • Keep your immigration documents valid and with current information at all times (including information on your I-20, passport, and F-1 visa).
  • Report a change to your U.S. address within 10 days of your move to the Center for International Education by sending an email to

  • Maintain a full credit load and enroll full-time for 3 consecutive quarters before taking a vacation quarter.

  • Do not engage in unlawful employment.

  • Obey U.S. laws and the regulations governing your F-1 student status. 


Your passport must be valid for 6 months into the future at all times while in the U.S. You should contact the consulate of your home country if your passport will be expiring. Report a lost or stolen passport to the police right away, as your government may require a police report before issuing a new passport. 

Form I-20: Certificate of Eligibility

An I-20 is issued by the U.S. school you attend and allows you to apply for an F-1 visa, enter/re-enter the U.S. to pursue your program of study, and prove you are in the U.S. legally.

The information on your I-20 must remain current at all times throughout your study.
Contact our office immediately if:

  • There are changes to your field of study (major/minor) or legal name.
  • You cannot complete your program before the program end date. You must complete and submit the Program Extension Form prior to the end date with the Center for International Education. 
  • You will graduate before the program end date. You must contact the Center for International Education in order to change the program end date.

F-1 Visa

Your F-1 visa is permission to enter the U.S. as a student, and can be expired while you remain in the U.S. to pursue your program of study. A visa can only be secured at a U.S. consulate, and ISS recommends that you apply in your home country. 

I-94 Arrival/Departure Record

The I-94 electronic record and a current I-20 are what allow you to remain in the United States as an F-1 student. You will have an electronic I-94 record, which documents that dates every time you enter and leave the U.S.. The I-94 record is the only way to prove that you have entered the U.S. legally. You can obtain your I-94 record at . A stamp with the date/place you entered the U.S. legally should be placed in your passport at the Port of Entry.