A transfer applicant is a student who has enrolled in college coursework after the summer quarter following high school graduation and has not earned a bachelor's degree.

Application Process

Application to the Bothell campus is a separate process from application to the Seattle or Tacoma campuses and requires the submission of separate application forms, transcripts, and other required records and documents.

General Admission Requirements:

  1. Minimum transfer GPA of 2.0
  2. Successful completion of the core subject requirements
  3. Official SAT (with Writing section) or ACT (with Writing section) scores for applicants with <40 transferable credits.

Application Checklist:

1.  Completed application, including required writing assignments

2.  Non-refundable $50 application fee

3.  Official high school transcript

4.  Two official transcripts from each college attended

5.  Official SAT (with Writing section) or ACT (with Writing section) scores for applicants with <40 transferable credits.

The academic programs at UW Bothell have additional requirements students must complete to be considered for admission.  Applicants are encouraged to contact an Admissions Advisor at (425) 352-5000 or

Application Deadlines are posted on online at:

International Transfer Students

An international student is an applicant who is not a United States citizen or permanent resident who plans to attend a college, university, or other post-secondary education institution in the U.S.  This includes applicants that hold U.S. visas as students, exchange visitors, or other nonimmigrant classifications.

International students who have completed college coursework after completing secondary school, regardless of the amount of credits earned, should apply as a transfer student.

Minimum Admission Requirements:

English Proficiency Requirement


Exam Title Minimum Scores for Admissions Consideration
TOEFL - internet based 70* Reading, Writing, & Listening sections only>
TOEFL computer-based 237
TOEFL paper-based 580
UW Administered Michigan Language Test (MLT) 90
International English Language Testing System (IELTS) 7

* For the internet-based TOEFL only, the minimum scores required are based on the combined total of the Reading, Listening, and Writing sections. The Speaking section of the test is not used in the admission review at this time.

TOEFL scores are only valid for 2 years.

International Transcripts
Transcripts from schools outside the United States must be evaluated by an independent evaluation service. UW Bothell does not have the resources to perform detailed evaluations of international transcripts.

The evaluation service will verify the accreditation of the school and establish the credit equivalencies.  Please request an evaluation from an approved evaluation service, and have an official copy sent directly to UW Bothell.

Financial Statement

Part of the application process requires all international students to submit a Declaration of Finances along with an official bank statement dated within six months of the application period.  In order for ISS to process the I-20, international students need to submit documentation verifying they have sufficient funds to attend the University.

Core Subject Requirements

To be considered for admission, applicants must complete a minimum level of preparation in six core subject areas. If a core subject requirement was not completed in high school, it must be completed at a college level before enrolling at UW Bothell.  An academic associate degree does not automatically satisfy the core subject requirements.

In general, five quarter credits (or three semester credits) in a college-level course equal one year of high school study. If you completed a portion of the core requirements via high school course work, you can complete the balance of the requirement via college course work. A college course may be used to satisfy both an admission core requirement and a UW Bothell graduation requirement.

University Core Subject Requirements
Subject If completed in high school If completed in college
English 4 years 5 credits of English Composition with minimum GPA of 2.0
Mathematics 3 years - completion of Intermediate Algebra Completion of Intermediate Algebra with minimum GPA of 2.0
Social Science 3 years 15 credits
Foreign Language 2 years of the same language 10 credits of same language or through 102 level with passing grade
Science 2 years (one year must be lab based) 10 credits (5-credits must be lab based)
Fine, Visual, or Performing Arts .5 years 2 credits

College minimum cumulative GPA = 2.0

English: 4 Years

If taken in high school:

Four years of study are required, at least three of which must be in college-preparatory composition or literature.

NOTE: English courses taken in another country are considered equivalent to ESL unless taken in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, or the United States.

If completed through college course work:

College course work must be at the 100 level or higher. For the composition/literature component, generally any course with an English or Writing prefix is acceptable.

NOTE: English courses are considered equivalent to ESL unless taken in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, or the United States.

Mathematics: 3 Years

If taken in high school:

Three years of study are required, at least at the level of algebra, geometry, and second-year algebra.

If completed through college course work:

If your high school preparation in mathematics was insufficient, you must complete one of the courses listed below:

Social Studies: 3 Years

If taken in high school:

Three years of study are required in history or in any of the social sciences, e.g., anthropology, contemporary world problems, economics, geography, government, political science, psychology, sociology.

If completed through college course work:

Courses in the social sciences - e.g., anthropology, economics, ethnic studies, history, philosophy, political science, psychology, sociology-will count toward the requirement.

Science: 2 Years

If taken in high school:

Two years of study are required. Applicants must complete one full year - both semesters in the same field with a laboratory experience- of the basic principles of biology, chemistry, or physics. The principles of technology course taught in Washington state high schools may also satisfy the laboratory science requirement. The second year of science may be completed in any course that satisfies your high school's graduation requirement in science.

If completed through college course work:

College science courses with a lab will count toward the laboratory science portion of the requirement. Any course in astronomy, atmospheric science, biological structure, biology, botany, chemistry, environmental science (but not environmental studies), genetics, geology, oceanography, physical anthropology, physical geography, physics, or zoology will count toward the second-year requirement, as will introductory courses in biological or physical science.

Foreign Language: 2 Years

If taken in high school:

Two years of study are required. The two years must be successfully completed in the same language.

If completed through college course work:

For purposes of admission, each quarter of language in college is considered equivalent to one year in high school. Applicants who have never studied a foreign language will need to complete ten quarter credits of a single foreign language. However, an applicant who studied French, for example, for one year in high school needs to complete only the second 5 quarter credits (e.g., FREN 102) or the second 3 semester credits of a first-year language sequence. Of course, you may prefer to begin with 101 to refresh your memory.

Fine, Visual, or Performing Arts: 1/2 Year

If taken in high school:

One-half year or one trimester of study is required in the fine, visual, or performing arts, to be chosen from art appreciation, band, ceramics, choir, dance, dramatics performance and production, drawing, fiber arts, graphic arts, metal design, music appreciation, music theory, orchestra, painting, photography, print making, or sculpture. Courses generally not acceptable include architecture, color guard, creative writing, drafting, drill team, fashion design, foreign languages, interior design, sewing, speech, web design or graphics, woodworking, & yearbook

If completed through college course work:*

Two quarter credits (or 2 semester credits) chosen from any of the following subjects will satisfy the requirement:

Courses in architecture are generally not acceptable, except for those in architectural history.

Electives in Core Subjects 1/2 Year

If taken in high school:

One half year of study is required. Academic electives are courses in any of the six subject areas (defined above) beyond the minimum number of years specified above.

If completed through college course work:

Three quarter credits (2 semester credits) chosen from the six subject areas described above count toward this requirement.

Grading Restrictions

In general, you must attain at minimum a passing grade to satisfy a core subject requirement. Also acceptable is a grade of 'Pass' in a course taken on a 'Pass/Fail' or ‘Credit/No Credit' basis. However, if you are completing core subjects through college course work you are strongly encouraged to choose a letter or numerical grade, because you may later want to apply core courses towards requirements for your major or University or college graduation requirements, for which grading restrictions pertain.

Applicants using a college course to satisfy the mathematics requirement must complete one of the courses listed below:

Special Admissions and the Appeal of Admission Decisions

An applicant who wishes to appeal the admission decision and be considered under special admission procedures may do so by writing a letter of petition Director of Admission. Please contact the Office of Admissions for further information at (425) 352-5000 or

Applicants with disabilities are encouraged to enclose with their application a statement describing their disability. If appropriate, certain admission requirements may have substitutions authorized. For further information, please contact Rosa Lundborg at or (425) 352-5307.

Applicants who are unable to meet the minimum admissions requirements because of special circumstances are encouraged to meet with an Admissions Advisor.  UW Bothell is committed to providing access and ensuring each applicant receives a fair review.

Applicability of Transfer Credit to Degree Requirements

The Office of Admission has the authority to make decisions approving transfer of credit to the University and application of transfer credits to fulfill university core subject, general education and proficiency requirements. The various Program Offices have the authority to determine application of transfer credits to fulfill major requirements. During the first quarter of enrollment, a student should meet with an academic advisor to plan a program of study. The advisor will determine how the transfer credits may be used in meeting degree requirements.

Academic Credit

The guidelines governing the awarding of undergraduate transfer credit at UW Bothell are listed below. In general, it is University policy to accept credits earned at institutions fully accredited by the regional accrediting association, provided that such credits have been earned through university-level courses (see exceptions below). For courses taken at a Washington community college, the Bothell campus follows the listing of transferable courses published in the UW Transfer Guide,

UW Bothell will accept up to 90 lower-division transfer credits (100 and 200 level courses). Courses equivalent to 300-level or higher at UW Bothell do not count toward the 90 lower-division credit limit. Students can petition their program to transfer additional credits beyond 90 lower-division to apply toward their major. No more than 135 transfer credits (lower or upper division) may be accepted to count toward a bachelor's degree.

Notable Restrictions on Transfer Credit

College in the High School

Additional credit restrictions may apply when students enrolled in high school have been awarded college-level credit by a college or university other than the UW, and the coursework was completed on the high school campus rather than the college campus. Contact the Office of Admissions for more information.

Community College Credit

A maximum of 90 lower division credits from community college course work may be applied toward the credits required for the bachelor's degree. All of the credits transferred from two-year colleges may be used toward graduation requirements.

Distance Learning

Up to 90 credits earned in correspondence courses, offered by the Distance Learning division of UW Educational Outreach, may be applied toward a UW degree. However, such credits may not be applied toward the 45 credits required for the Final Year Residence Requirement.

Extension Credit From Other Schools

No more than 45 credits earned as extension credit from other schools may be applied toward a UW degree. Military credit, discussed below, is included in the 45 extension credit limit.

Guidance/Personal Development

A maximum of 3 credits is awarded for courses in this area as part of the 15 credits allowed for vocational/technical courses.

Limitation on ROTC Credits

Credits earned in first- and second-year military training courses may not be counted in the 180 credits that are required for graduation. Some third- and fourth-year courses may count, depending on the student's degree program.

Military Credit

Credits earned in Armed Forces Training Schools (AFTS) and through USAFI and DANTES may not exceed 30 credits and are included in the 45 extension credit limit. Official transcripts or DD-214 or DD-295 forms must be submitted, and credit will not be awarded until after the student has enrolled. Scores received in such course work are not included in the transfer GPA. No credit is awarded for Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) programs.

Out-of-Sequence Courses

Credit is not awarded for prerequisite courses completed after a more advanced-level course has been completed. For example, students will not be awarded credit for Spanish 102 if it was taken after Spanish 103.

Physical Education

No more than 3 quarter credits will be allowed for physical education activity courses.

Repeated Courses

When a student transferring to UW Bothell has repeated a course for a second time at an institution other than the University of Washington campuses, credit for the course shall be allowed once and the most recent grade for the course shall be used in calculating the transfer GPA.  In the case that a student fails a course that they are repeating and initially passed, credit shall still be allowed for the course but the grade shall be considered a P (pass) and disregarded when calculating the transfer GPA.  Courses that are repeated for the third time will have neither the credit nor the grade count.

Restricted Transfer Credit

Transfer credit will not generally be awarded for vocational or technical courses. However, a maximum of 15 vocational/technical quarter credits will be awarded when they have been allowed as electives within the 90 credits comprising an academic associate degree from a Washington community college. Courses in this category are those which would ordinarily provide specialized training for an occupation (e.g., allied health, bookkeeping, electronics, or physical therapy assistant). When allowed, these credits will apply only toward the elective credit component of a baccalaureate degree at UW Bothell. Such courses are not included in the Transfer GPA.

Courses receiving no credit

The University reserves the right to deny credit for courses that are not compatible with those offered in its baccalaureate degree programs. Some general categories of courses never receive transfer credit. Examples include:

Special Categories for Undergraduate Admission

Matriculated Students

New students at the UW Bothell, seeking their first undergraduate degree, are normally admitted as either general transfer or to a specific academic program as matriculated students. Applicants should be sure to use the correct application form and indicate the appropriate category for their requested status at the Bothell campus.  The application is available at: Staff in the Office of Admissions can assist applicants who are uncertain about the proper admission category

Returning Students

A returning student who has been away for more than one quarter (excluding summer) is required to complete and file a Returning Student Enrollment Application.  Students should contact their previous program to verify any additional requirements.  A returning undergraduate is required to pay a non-refundable $50 application fee by the application priority date. Returning non-matriculated students are enrolled as space permits.

Non-matriculated Students

Non-Matriculated status is used by non-degree seeking students at the Bothell campus. Although a student enrolled at the Bothell campus in a non-matriculated status cannot earn a degree in that status, a grade is earned and full credit is awarded and recorded on the student's UW transcript. Credits earned by a non-matriculated student usually transfer to other institutions. If a student is later accepted into a matriculated status at the Bothell campus, courses earned as a non-matriculated student may be applied to undergraduate degree requirements, with some restrictions: a maximum of 90 credits earned through correspondence and/or extension programs may be applied toward the bachelor's degree, and the last 45 credits of a baccalaureate degree must be earned as a matriculated student in residence at the Bothell campus.

Pre-professional Students

Students wishing to begin their auxiliary studies for a professional program (e.g., Nursing), in a quarter preceding the beginning quarter of the program, may enroll as pre-professional students if space is available within Bothell campus enrollment limitations. "Pre-professional" is a matriculated status.

Post-baccalaureate Students

Post-baccalaureate is a matriculated status at the University of Washington. At the Bothell campus, post-baccalaureate students are those who have completed one or more bachelor's degrees and are working toward another bachelor's degree. Such students are admitted to an undergraduate program on the same basis as other applicants. The application of previous courses toward graduation requirements will be determined by program faculty and advisors.