University of Washington Bothell


How to Apply

An applicant for a bachelor's degree program is eligible to apply for admission to UW Bothell if he or she has completed 80 transfer credits.

Application to the Bothell campus is a separate process from application to the Seattle or Tacoma campuses and requires the submission of separate application forms, transcripts, and other required records and documents. As each academic program at UWB has different admission requirements, applicants should consult an admission advisor for information. However, all programs require the timely submission of the following items:

1.  The appropriate application form, completed, signed and dated, which may be obtained online at or from the Office of Student Affairs.

2.  A check or money order payable to the University of Washington in the amount of $50.

3.  Two official transcripts from each college attended.

4.  High school transcripts (undergraduates only) if courses in intermediate algebra or a foreign language were taken in high school.

Early application is advised. To be assured of consideration, applications for the Business Administration, Computing and Software Systems, and Interdisciplinary Arts & Sciences programs, including all required documents, should be submitted at least three months prior to the quarter of application. For Autumn Quarter, submission during the preceding spring is advised.

The Bachelor of Science in Nursing program begins courses in Summer Quarter and students are admitted annually.

The Teacher Certification program is primarily a full-time program designed for those who already hold a bachelor's degree or are in the final quarter of a degree program.

Contact the Office of Student Affairs for specific priority closing dates for all programs.

Application forms, admission advising, and general information for all undergraduate programs is provided by the Office of Student Affairs and may be obtained either online at or in person at the Office of Student Affairs located in UWB-1 . Students who are considering enrollment at the University of Washington, Bothell are encouraged to call (425) 352-5000, or visit the campus.


When enrollment space permits, exceptions to the preceding admission requirements may be made for individual students depending on their particular circumstances. Students who are admitted by exception with admission deficiencies should be aware that all deficiencies must be made up within one year, and that they will not be able to graduate until all requirements are satisfied.

Making up Deficiencies and Requirements

General Education and Quantitative/
Symbolic Reasoning Courses:

Course work to fulfill the general education or quantitative/symbolic reasoning requirements can be completed through enrollment at a community college, at a four-year institution, or through UW Educational Outreach. Concurrent enrollment at the Bothell campus may be permitted. Depending upon individual circumstances, students may be able to complete these requirements at UWB.

English Composition:

English composition courses are not offered at the UWB campus. Coursework will need to be completed through enrollment at a community college, a four-year institution, or UW Educational Outreach.

Foreign Language:

The UWB admission policy specifies that applicants must complete two high school years or 10 credits at the college level of a single foreign language. The study must be devoted to a single foreign language and must be in sequence, with no repetition of any prior term of study. Any natural language other than English that has been formally studied may be used to satisfy this requirement, including languages no longer spoken, such as Latin and ancient Greek, and American Sign Language (AMESLAN, the language of the deaf community in America). However, other forms of deaf signing and computer "languages" are not acceptable. The foreign language requirement will be considered satisfied for applicants who complete their education through the seventh grade in school(s) a) where English was not the language of instruction and b) in countries other than Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the UK, and the U.S.

International applicants who entered the U.S. education system prior to the eighth grade must satisfy the foreign language requirement.

Admissions Worksheet

The UW Bothell Student Affairs Office completes a course-by-course evaluation of transfer credits as part of the admission process. The evaluation record is printed on the Admissions Worksheet; one copy of the worksheet is available to the student; a second copy is sent to the student's academic advising office. The information recorded on the Admissions Worksheet--including the transfer of credits-becomes a part of the student's permanent record at the University. The Admissions Worksheet is not an official transcript. The official UW transcript-which is sent out to other institutions at the request of the student-will not include the transfer GPA or a detailed listing of transfer credits the UW awarded. It merely lists the other colleges the student has attended and the total number of transfer credits awarded. After the student enrolls at the Bothell campus, transfer grades are not included in the student's UW GPA.


The Office of Student Affairs has the authority to make decisions approving transfer of credit to the University and application of transfer credits to fulfill general education and proficiency requirements. The various Program Offices have the authority to determine application of transfer credits to fulfill major requirements. During the first quarter of enrollment, a student should meet with an academic advisor to plan a program of study. The advisor will determine how the transfer credits shown on the Admissions Worksheet may be used in meeting degree requirements.

Class Standing

A student's class standing is determined by the total number of transfer credits awarded by the University of Washington, not by the number of years of college study or by completion of an associate degree. The following table lists the required quarter credits for each class:

Junior ........ 90-134 credits

Senior......... 135 credits or more

Students should note that satisfying Bothell campus graduation requirements depends not only on the number of credits completed (a minimum of 180), but also on completion of all program requirements.

Transfer GPA

In reviewing the college records of applicants, staff in the Office of Student Affairs calculate a transfer GPA for each applicant for the purpose of determining admissibility to a program at the Bothell campus. Since not all courses on student records are transferable to the University, not all grades are counted in the transfer GPA. In calculating the transfer GPA, the following guidelines apply.

The following are included in the transfer GPA:

1.  All transferable academic courses, from all colleges the student has attended, in which the student has received grades between 0.0 and 4.0, on a 4.0 grading scale (the grade assignments used by the home institution are employed for this purpose);

2.  Repeated courses (the second reported grade for a repeated course is used in the GPA);

3.  All transferable academic credit from two-year colleges, even if the student has earned more than 90 transferable credits.

The following are not included in the transfer GPA:

1. Courses considered to be below college level;

2.  Math courses in intermediate algebra (Math 101);

3.  Religion courses that teach from a particular doctrinal perspective or that teach preparation for a ministry;

4.  Developmental or remedial courses;

5.  Courses in study skills;

6.  Lower-division military science courses;

7.  English as a second language courses;

8.  Vocational/technical courses;

9.  Courses recorded with a grade of ‘Incomplete";

10.   Courses recorded with a grade of "Pass" or "Satisfactory';

11.   PE activity credits in excess of 3 quarter credits.

Special Admissions and the Appeal of Admission Decisions

Special admission procedures are available to applicants who, because of special circumstances, are unable to meet the requirements for routine admission, but are able to submit additional evidence indicating that they will significantly benefit from or contribute to campus programs. This non-routine avenue of admission is maintained to ensure the fair evaluation of all applicants. An applicant who wishes to appeal the original admission decision and be considered under special admission procedures may do so by writing a letter of petition to the Academic Affairs Committee. Applicants submitting such a letter may do so with the assurance that any additional evidence in support of the application will be carefully reviewed. An applicant who is accepted by the committee will be expected to comply with any requirements outlined by the committee at the time of admission. Letters to the Academic Affairs Committee should be written or typed on plain paper (there is no special form) and sent to the Bothell campus Office of Student Affairs.

Applicants with disabilities are encouraged to enclose with their application a statement describing their disability. If appropriate, certain admission requirements may have substitutions authorized. For more information or assistance, contact the UW Bothell Office of Student Affairs.

Special Categories for Undergraduate Admission

Matriculated Students

New students at the University of Washington, Bothell, seeking their first undergraduate degree, are normally admitted to a specific academic program as matriculated students. Students majoring in an academic program and pursuing the bachelor's degree fit this category. Different student circumstances or purposes may require one of the special categories listed in this section. Applicants should be sure to use the correct application form and indicate the appropriate category for their requested status at the Bothell campus. Staff in the Office of Student Affairs can assist applicants who are uncertain about the proper admission category.

Returning Students

A returning student who has been away for more than one quarter (excluding summer) is required to complete and file a Returning Student Enrollment Application. A returning undergraduate is required to pay a $50 application fee by the application priority closing date. Returning non-matriculated students are enrolled as space permits.

Non-matriculated Students

Although a student enrolled at the Bothell campus, in a non-matriculated status, cannot earn a degree in that status, a grade is earned and full credit is awarded and recorded on the student's UW transcript. Credits earned by a non-matriculated student usually transfer to other institutions. If a student is later accepted into a matriculated status at the Bothell campus, courses earned as a non-matriculated student may be applied to undergraduate degree requirements, with some restrictions: a maximum of 90 credits earned through correspondence and/or extension programs may be applied toward the bachelor's degree, and the last 45 credits of a baccalaureate degree must be earned as a matriculated student in residence at the Bothell campus.

Pre-professional Students

Students wishing to begin their auxiliary studies for a professional program (e.g., Nursing), in a quarter preceding the beginning quarter of the program, may enroll as pre-professional students if space is available within Bothell campus enrollment limitations. "Pre-professional" is a matriculated status.

Post-baccalaureate Students

Post-baccalaureate is a matriculated status at the University of Washington. At the Bothell campus, post-baccalaureate students are those who have completed one or more bachelor's degrees and are working toward another bachelor's degree. (There is no undeclared status for post-baccalaureate students at UWB.) Such students are admitted to an undergraduate program on the same basis as other applicants. The application of previous courses toward graduation requirements will be determined by program faculty and advisors.

Matriculated status at the Bothell campus is reserved for students who meet admission standards and who are enrolled primarily for the purpose of earning a degree. However, some students will find their educational needs met through non-matriculated enrollment.

Copyright © 1994-2006. University of Washington Bothell
Updated: 2006-11-20 13:08:00