Transfer Students

Notable Restrictions on Transfer Credit

Transfer Credit

A maximum of 90 credits from lower division course work may be applied toward the credits required for the bachelor's degree. All lower division credits transferred from other institutions may be used toward graduation requirements, but a student must still complete at least 90 credits of course work at the UWB or at another baccalaureate-granting institution (see also Senior Residency Requirement). Think of transfer courses as a "bank account" from which to draw. All of a student's transferable lower division courses remain in the bank to be applied toward specific degree requirements.

Extension Credit from Other Schools

Extension credit, including correspondence courses, earned at other schools may not exceed 45 credits. Military credit is included in this 45-credit limit.

Military Credit

Credits earned in Armed Forces Training Schools (AFTS) and through USAFI and DANTES may not exceed 30 credits and are included in the 45-credit limit for extension credit. Official transcripts, DD-214, or DD-295 forms must be submitted, and credit will not be awarded until after the student has enrolled at the University. Scores received in such course work are not included in the transfer GPA. No credit is awarded for Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) programs.

World Language Courses

Students who have completed two or more years of a high-school world language receive no college credit for an entry-level course (e.g., FRENCH 101) in the same language when that course is completed after matriculation at the University. Transfer students who complete such a course before matriculation at the UW are eligible to receive transfer credit.

Native Language

First-year (elementary) or second-year (intermediate) world language credit is not granted either by examination or by course completion in a student's native language. "Native language" is defined as the language spoken in the student's home during the first six years of his or her life and in which he or she received instruction through the seventh grade.

Out-of-Sequence Courses

Credit is not awarded for prerequisite courses in mathematics or world languages completed after a more advanced course has been completed. For example, students will not be awarded credit for Spanish 102 if taken after Spanish 103.

Overlapping Content

If a department considers two of its courses to have overlapping content, credit will be awarded for only one. For example, credit is granted for either PHYS 114 or PHYS 121. Other departments in which such overlapping courses occur include Astronomy, Computer Science, Economics, Genetics, Geological Sciences, Linguistics, Psychology, and Statistic.

Physical Education

No more than three quarter credits will be allowed for physical-education activity courses.

Restricted Transfer Credit

A maximum of 15 quarter credits will be awarded in transfer for college-level vocational-technical courses. Courses in this category are those that ordinarily provide specialized training for an occupation (e.g., allied health, bookkeeping, electronics, or physical therapy assistant). When allowed, these credits will apply only toward the elective credit component of a baccalaureate degree at the UWB. Such courses are not included in the transfer GPA.

ROTC Credit

Credits earned in first- and second-year military training courses may not be counted in the basic 180 credits that are required for graduation. Some third- and fourth-year courses may count, depending on the institution the student attended previously.

Senior Residency Requirement

The University generally requires that at least the last 45 of final 60 credits of a baccalaureate degree be completed in residence at the UWB.


  • Apply Now
  • Request Information
  • Student Profiles
  • Viewbook
  • Campus Tour
  • Real Huskies Real Careers
  • Join us