International Students


Documents for Application

English Proficiency


I’m admitted. Now what?

UW Bothell Academics

Student Life


When should I apply?
Each program has different deadline. Check here for the application deadlines.

What is a personal statement?
It is an important part of your application. Don’t be afraid of it. It is also a great opportunity to express your personality, academic plan at UW Bothell, future career plan and goals through your writing. Be sure to check spelling and grammar before submitting the personal statement.

Will all my credits transfer?  How will I know how many credits I have?
When your application is reviewed our evaluators will determine which credits transfer and once you register for classes you will find your transfer credits on your MyUW account.  If you have questions, ask an advisor at uwbintl@uw.edu.

When will I know if I’m admitted to UW Bothell?
Your application will be considered complete when we receive all required documents from you. As soon as we receive your application, we will go through your application and make a decision. The number of application we receive is increasing every year, but we are doing our best to inform you as soon as possible.

Documents for Application

What documents are required with my application?
First Year Students will need to submit official transcripts for the last 4 years of high school.

Transfer students will need to submit transcripts from all institutions you attended after high school, and we may also require your high school transcripts if you have less than 90 transfer credits. 

Official TOEFL or IELTS scores if you plan to use these for English Proficiency.

SAT or ACT scores if you took this exam (not required for international applicants)

What is an official transcript?
UWB requires a copy of your transcripts to be sent directly to our admissions office from your previous school in a sealed envelope.  This is the primary way we accept transcripts as official.

Do I need my high school transcript?
You will need official academic record at each school you attend. If you completed all CADR requirements through college course work, your high school transcript will not be required. Generally, not always, if you are transfer student, you do not need high school transcript. But if you are going to be a First Year Student, you are likely to be required to submit your high school transcript.

Do I need my bank statement with my application?
No. You are not required to submit bank statements to apply.  If you are admitted, you will need to submit bank statements showing you have enough funds to support your study and living expenses in the US for 9 months.

English Proficiency

How can I prove English Proficiency?
There are several ways to meet English proficiency, please review your options to completing your English proficiency and contact uwbintl@uw.edu if you have more questions.

Do I need to take an English proficiency test? What are English proficiency requirements?
All applicants for whom English is a non-native language must provide proof of English language proficiency. You can meet the English proficiency reuirements through one of four options.

What code do I use to send my TOEFL test score?


Are there scholarships for international students?
Yes. There are scholarships that international students are eligible to apply. Click her to see available scholarships.

I’m Admitted. Now what?

How do I get my I-20?
After you are admitted to UW Bothell, we will request you to submit UW-Bothell I-20 Form. UW Bothell cannot issue your I-20 until ISS receives your completed I-20 form, a copy of your passport identification page, and sufficient proof of finances (bank statement).

How does the visa process work?
If you are admitted and decide to enroll at UW Bothell, the visa process is very straightforward. Once you receive the I-20 form from us, you can apply for a visa appointment at your local U.S. embassy.

Do you require immunizations?
Yes. Before you can register for classes you must submit proof of Measles immunization.  This does not need to be translated, but we need copies of the records and the measles form. 

What orientations do I have to attend?
You must attend either First Year Student Orientation or Transfer-Student Orientation. Besides this, as an international student, you are required to attend immigration orientation. In addition, you may have to attend another orientation for the department you applied for (i.g. STEM, IAS, etc.).

When should I arrive to campus? How do I get to the university from airport?
We encourage you to ensure you arrive to campus in time to attend your orientation. There are many ways to get UW Bothell.

When can I register for classes?
You must first attend general orientation and submit your Measles forms before you will be able to register for classes.

UW Bothell Academics

Do you have an English Language program?
Yes. We do have a small English bridge program reserved for students who plan to continue study here after completing their English studies.  Students must first apply to their major before starting the English Language program.  Here is a link to more information about the English Languate program.

When will I start my major?
In the US education system, the first two years of your Bachelor degree you will take general courses and complete the prerequisite courses for your major.  You will need to apply to your program and be admitted to your major.  Most students begin their major studies in their third year.

Can I study part time?
No. International students cannot study part time. U.S. immigration law requires that all international students on F1 student visas maintain full-time enrollment. To be considered full time, undergraduate students must be registered for a minimum of 12 quarter credits. Graduate students must be registered for a minimum of 9 quarter credits to be considered full time.

Student Life

I don’t know anybody in the U.S. Is there anyone who can help my transition?
International Student Services (ISS) are happy to help your adjustment here in the U.S.  The International Student Facilitators (ISF) is a student organization that aims to assist international students in their transition to life in the United States and at UW Bothell.  We can get you connected with our current students too.

Do you have dorms?
Yes. UW Bothell offers on-campus housing. After you have been admitted and accepted your office you can apply for housing here. Be sure to check the application deadline!

Is it hard to commute if I don’t live on campus?
A lot of international students live off campus, and most of them commute to school by bus. When you register for classes, you have an option to purchase U-Pass that allows you to use the Seattle area bus systems. Also, Seattle-Bothell area is very bike friendly.

Do I need health insurance?
Yes. Washington state laws require that international students on an F1 visa maintain adequate health insurance while attending the University of Washington. Insurance fee is included in your tuition, and you can see it at MyUW.

Can I have a job in the U.S.?
As a student in F-1 status, you aren’t allowed to work off-campus. However, there are a lot of on-campus opportunities open for all students including international students.

Are there activities for international students?
ISF and ISS are also planning quarterly activities that all international and domestic students at UW Bothell are welcome to join. Here are some events from the past:

  • Auntie Anne's Pretzel Field Trip
  • International Game Night
  • Corn Maze & Pumpkin Farm
  • Winter Life Snowshoeing Tour in Leavenworth
  • Future of Flight - Boeing Tour
  • Skagit Valley Tulip Festival & Deception Pass State Park
  • Northwest Trek Wildlife Park
  • Cooking for College Students
  • Tour Seattle
  • Bowling at Kenmore Lanes
  • Food Lifeline Volunteering
  • Ice Skating in Lynnwood
  • Snowshoeing in Snoqualmie
  • Muddy Boots Tour of UW Bothell Wetlands
  • Thanksgiving Dinner with UW Bothell faculty/staff
  • Dinner at Zen Garden